Wednesday, September 09, 2026

Ferdinand the Bull-Disney's Animated tale 79 Years before 20th Century FOX's take.

In 1938, Disney released an animated short based on a 1936 storybook by Munro Leaf.

Both the book and the animated short have one thing in Common:
It's about a Spanish Bull who holds immense strength but is actually a pacifist and would rather want nothing to do with fighting. Instead, preferring to smell the flowers.

But then, a jolt was felt through his ASS when he's stung by a BEE






and this jolt makes him crash into his other fellow bulls,





impressing the judges.



And then some......

JUST GO ON ARCHIVE.ORG and read the book so I don't spoil the rest of the story.



Why am I doing this post?


Because I have watched both the original short


and the 2017 CGI movie

through actual movie projectors.


For the Disney one, I first watched the short film on 16MM Filmstock owned by a school Teacher at Strathcona Elementary school and I distinctively remember how degraded the filmstock was both visually and audio-wise.

Or maybe that's what Film aficionados like about Old Film Reels.


I believe the film was being fed through one of those BELL AND HOWELL 16MM film projectors.

That was 2008 when I was either in 4th or 5th grade.

And if memory serves me right, It was projected on either the window curtains or a projection screen the school had.


Roughly 10 years later, I went to a 2018 FAMILY FAVORITES screening of the CGI Film FERDINAND.

That film was released around the same time the infamous THE LAST JEDI premiered in Cinemas on December 2017 but regardless of whether people like or hated THE LAST JEDI, almost nobody went to watch Ferdinand in it's original Theatrical release because JEDI KNIGHTS and REBELS triumphed over a Spanish Pacifist Bull in the Box Office.



And I guess..... BLUE SKY's FERDINAND is now DISNEY property since the 2019 acquisition so.....

I guess there's a hub to watch the 1938 Cartoon Short and the later CGI Film from the same people who made the ICE AGE movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment