Right?
Not all of them.
Some began as a multi-collaboration like a majority of
TAIWANESE MOTHERBOARD COMPANIES like
ASUS, ACER, GIGABYTE, etc.
That's right.
That's how the Computer Company DELL got it's start.
MICHAEL DELL's aspirations were in the BUSINESS SECTOR in a similar path his late mother LORRAINE DELL took as she was a stockbrokerHowever, DELL's mother LORRAINE
They both wanted MICHAEL to study PRE-MED and become a DOCTOR.
So to appease his parents, he enrolled as a PRE-MED student at the
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS at AUSTIN in the early 1980s.
But he wasn't liking his studies at all.
So, in his spare time when not taking notes or taking tests,
He set up a PC-Upgrade Business at his COLLEGE DORM where he took orders from his fellow students(and others in the AUSTIN, TEXAS area).
And he made a WISE CHOICE to choose the PC ARCHITECTUREAs that made UPGRADE KITS all the more accessible due to the PC's
And it was not just the IBM PCs but also the clones too.
By January 1984, MICHAEL recognized that selling PCs directly to consumers would cut down costs compared to traditional retailers.
So he dropped out of UNIVERSITY, much to his parents CHAGRIN,
Applied for a vendor's license to bid on GOVERNMENT COMPUTER CONTRACTS, won those contracts easily due to him having zero retail store overhead,
And the rest types for itself....
So, how did DELL's business work?
It was through direct sales. AKA BUILD-TO-ORDER.
Then after the order was made, the Company would send the order to manufacturing to assemble the computer with the CUSTOMER's exact specifications
Another strategy was JUST-IN-TIME for the SUPPLY CHAINS where DELL worked with LOCAL COMPONENT SUPPLIERS to get the parts delivered rapidly to the manufacturing facilities.
This ensured that DELL would collect the money from the consumer which would then be paid over to the suppliers.
This strategy is to allow the computers to be sold to the consumer at a much lower price while at the same time, also prevents the building up of unsold inventory which can be a problem for other companies.
In the later years, DELL emerged as one of the largest manufacturers of Computers that are used by many people today.
My family, when it comes to LAPTOPS, is primarily a DELL family.
No lie.
Here's my DAD using his DELL XPS laptop while my previous Cat PEACH tries to use the hot air from the cooling fans to lull herself to sleep.
I was seriously considering getting a DELL ALIENWARE AURORA R11 desktop to replace my MSI LAPTOP for the tail end of my COLLEGE STUDIES in 2022 but at the time, I couldn't justify it's price, nor the reviews so I instead decided to Build my own machines.
But on July 14 2025, I did buy a DELL INSPIRON RYZEN 7 LAPTOPThat laptop you see in the photo above is what I use to type these blogposts.
I guess parts of this blogpost don't really give you an idea about why I like MICHAEL DELL's career turn from being a MEDICAL STUDENT to a COMPUTER MANUFACTURER.....
But hey, I like inspiration stories.
No comments:
Post a Comment