Saturday, August 15, 2026

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!!!-Happy 40th Anniversary DAVID CRONENBERG's THE FLY(1986)

Back in August 18 2024 

when I made that blogpost comparing DOUG FUNNIE to SETH BRUNDLE,


I mentioned that DAVID CRONENBERG's 1986 film THE FLY is reaching it's 40th Anniversary.


Well, that time is now.

This 1986 film is where all your Nightmares about FLY MUTANTS and your fierce aversions to SAD ENDINGS come from.....




All with costume and animatronic designs coming from CHRIS WALAS himself


And this film is set in the hinterland of my home country of CANADA.



That's right.

Even though the film is listed as an AMERICAN FILM and uses mostly AMERICAN Actors such as JEFF GOLDBLUM, GINA DAVIS, JOHN GETZ, etc., 

The film was shot in TORONTO and it's set in there which makes sense since the director DAVID CRONENBERG is CANADIAN.

"I can film AMERICAN FILMS in CANADA and have it set in CANADA
because I CAN!"

And yes, the both the 1958 VINCENT PRICE film and the original short story are set in CANADA though unlike the Cronenberg film which is set in TORONTO,  the 1958 film is set in MONTREAL.


I also find it very interesting that the film was produced under the watch of MEL BROOKS

which at first confused me since he's mostly known for his COMEDIES....

But BROOKS did produce the film alongside THE ELEPHANT MAN in 1982...

But since both ELEPHANT MAN & THE FLY are dramas, He removed his name off the credits so people don't go BATSHIT insane that the films aren't comedies if he produces DRAMA films.


While it may be a journey to find the BLU-RAY of THE FLY out there without resorting to AMAZON Online Storefronts, good thing the film is on DISNEY+ via HULU so yeah......

Or you could just go on ARCHIVE.ORG and find a BLU-RAY rip over there which I did when I downloaded my .MKV file from there.


But whichever way works, I'd say go either way and watch the film in your leisure time as to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary.



On an unrelated note:

My DESKTOP PC is acting up again.

No. No Black Screens or BIOS not recognizing SSDs disappearing after a restart. It might by a registry issue with my WINDOWS 11 Install...

I just had a conversation with some employees at MEMORY EXPRESS just recently and if all doesn't go well with any fixes, I may have to reinstall WINDOWS but this time, use a different SSD.

It's about time I reinstall as I need to have more reliability.

RELAX. I'm using my DELL RYZEN 7 LAPTOP to type these Blogposts so don't panic. It's good to have a backup machine when the other is acting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment